Thursday, July 15, 2010

HAPPY BELATED CANADA DAY!!!!

Myself, fellow interns and party goers at 'the Father's House' on Canada Day

My first Canada day away from home has come and gone... but not without a rather unorthodox and highly unexpected celebration Malawi style!! Unfortunately, my camera was giving me some problems so I could only get one good shot of the evening.

The week before Canada Day, I received a phone call from a Canadian who was interested in putting together a Canada Day party to be hosted at 'the Father's House" for all the Canadians living in Mzuzu. As an overly inquisitive, perhaps at times disruptive youth in Sunday school, I have to admit I was initially slightly skeptical. However, the seven of us happily headed off for the party, which turned out to be a blast!!! In addition to singing the Canadian national anthem, we were also welcomed with a series of traditional local songs song my the Sisters. It was remarkable to feel so Canadian in the heart of Africa on Canada Day. Where they found the maple syrup, I don't know... but it was sensational.

It is impossible for me to describe the party's environment. But as a recent newcomer to Malawi, it was totally surreal to spend Canada Day in a rural area on the outskirts of Mzuzu City with a collection of prominent community and religious leaders gathered to celebrate our nation. Like many experiences I've had over the last seven weeks, I was completely taken off guard. So, Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment